For the Cupcakes
6 oz / 150g margarine
6 oz / 150g light brown muscovado sugar
6 oz / 150g self-raising flour
3 oz / 75g milk chocolate chips
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon maple syrup
Icing / Topping
8 oz / 200g icing sugar
4 oz / 100g soft butter
½ teaspoon salt
1-2 tablespoons maple syrup
Dash of milk
3 packet waffles
100g milk chocolate
Pinch of salt
*extra: grated chocolate, glitter, anything else that takes your fancy
1) Preheat oven to 180°C/ Gas 4. Line a muffin tin with muffin cases and set aside. Make the Cupcakes: Cream the margarine, sugar, salt and maple syrup together until light and fluffy.
2) Gradually add the egg and sieve the flour, mixing well after each addition. Fold through the chocolate chips
3) Spoon evenly into the muffin cases and bake for 20 minutes until springy to the touch or an inserted skewer comes out clean. Whilst the cupcakes are cooking, cut the waffles into quarters ad melt the chocolate. Dip the waffle pieces in the chocolate and sprinkle a tiny amount of salt on each one. Allow the chocolate to set before using them to decorate the cakes in the next stage. Once the cupcakes are baked, allow to cool on a wire rack.
4) Make the Buttercream Icing: Cream the butter with the milk, maple syrup and salt until softened. Sieve in the icing sugar gradually, mixing well after each addition. Keep mixing until the icing reaches a spreadable consistency.
5) Decorate the Cupcakes: Spread or pipe the buttercream icing onto the cupcakes, top with a any decorations you desire and ALWAYS add a touch of glitter ;)